Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Aiden's Dairy Free Chocolate Birthday Cake

I can't believe it but my lil man turned 2! My life has been absolutely filled with joy every day since God loaned him to me. It is such a joy to be a mom and to have the opportunity to stay home and raise him according to God's Word. :)

Aiden hiding in his lil fort!

Last year for his 1st birthday he did not have cake - so sad I know! Aiden has had several different allergies since he was born and as a result doesn't get to enjoy all of the food that is available to him. So this year I really wanted to give him a cake! He currently is only allergic to dairy now so I decided to whip up a dairy free Bulldozer cake. :)  


I am not the best baker when it comes to Dairy Free foods so I decided to go to the box of dairy free cake mix for help! I used Cherrybrook Farm Chocolate Cake Mix from Whole Foods. It was pretty good - it had chocolate chips in the cake mix - but you could definitely tell it was dairy free - my son LOVED it though! For the dairy free chocolate frosting, I selected a recipe that I found at GoDairyFree. That has been a great site for coming up with Dairy Free foods for my lil man! For toppings, I bought a bag of Enjoy Life brand's Dairy Free Chocolate Chips and poured them all over the cake and then took some Oreo cookies, crushed them and made a big pile of "dirt". My son picked out the truck at Dollar Tree and I stuck it on top!

When my son saw this cake he said " WOW!" then he ate it and loved every bite! I might have to make this in cupcakes next time for him but really try to do it homemade.... :)






No comments: